Model 8500 Specifications
Oxygen Saturation Display Range: 0% to 100% SpO2
Pulse Rate Display Range: 18 to 321 beats per minute (BPM)
Accuracy – Sensors: Declared accuracy data for compatible sensors can be found in Nonin’s Sensor Accuracy document.
Measurement Wavelengths and Output Power**:
Red: 660 nanometers @ 0.8 mW maximum average
Infrared: 910 nanometers @ 1.2 mW maximum average
Pulse Quality Indicator: LED, tricolor
Numeric Displays: 3-digit, 7-segment LEDs, red
Operating: -20 to +50 °C (-4 to +122 °F)
Storage/Transportation: -40 to +70 °C (-40 to +158 °F)
Operating: 10% to 90% non-condensing
Storage/Transportation: 10% to 95% non-condensing
Operating: Up to 12,000 meters (40,000 feet)
Hyperbaric Pressure: Up to 4 atmospheres
Six 1.5V AA-size alkaline batteries.
100 hours maximum display brightness.
160 hours with normal display brightness.
Dimensions: 8 cm W x 15 cm H x 2.5 cm D (3 in W x 6 in H x 1 in D)
Weight: 280 g (10 oz) (with alkaline batteries)
Classifications per ANSI/AAMI ES60601-1 / CAN/CSA-C22.2 No. 60601-1:
Type of Protection: Internally powered (on battery power)
Degree of Protection: Type BF-Applied Part
Mode of Operation: Continuous
Enclosure Degree of Ingress Protection: IP33
This device is not made with natural rubber latex.
** This information is especially useful for clinicians performing photodynamic therapy.
Model 8500 Troubleshooting
- Unit will not turn on:
- Install six new batteries, ie Duracell, Energizer ect (avoid off brand low quality batteries)
- Verify correct polarity of the batteries (FIGURE 2)
- Verify battery door has metal contact
- Disconnect any accessories attached to the device
- Verify battery contacts, inspect for corrosion / clean contacts
- Has the device lost battery power for more than 2 minutes, unit will clear memory after 2 minutes with no battery power.
- Has more than 2 minutes of data been recorded.
- Unit must have 6 new good batteries (no flashing displays), good sensor reading 2 minutes or more.
- Unit will not display readings:
- Verify that only Nonin accessories are being used
- Verify integrity of all batteries, is display blinking
- Try another sensor
- If 8500I is being used, remove and try again using only the sensor.
- Verify that tester \ patient is not wearing fingernail polish
- Unit is displaying erratic readings
- Follow steps in item #2 above
- Numeric displays blink at one-second intervals (Low Battery Indication)
- Install six new batteries
- Verify correct installation (polarity) of ALL batteries (FIGURE 2)
Nonin 8500 – Battery Placement Configurations
Battery installation (6) – Left to Right – #1, #3, #5
#2, #4, #6
Location: Reverse (5 other batteries correct polarity)
#1 – Will power ON, Blinking Display HR and SPO2, will provide readings, but blink
#2 – Will power ON, Blinking Display HR and SPO2, will provide readings, but blink
#3 – Will power ON, Blinking Display HR and SPO2, will provide readings, but blink
#4 – Will power ON, Blinking Display HR and SPO2, will provide readings, but blink
#5 – Will power ON, Blinking Display HR and SPO2, will provide readings, but blink
#6 – Will power ON, Blinking Display HR and SPO2, will provide readings, but blink
* Any two batteries reversed grouped together, No Power (1 – 2 or 3 – 4 or 5 – 6)
* Any two batteries, not grouped together, will power ON, only dashes no readings.
* Three batteries reversed, no power, no indications.
Frequently Asked Questions
Nonin Medical Inc
13700 1st Ave N,
Plymouth, MN 55441
Toll Free (USA and Canada)
Nonin Medical B.V.
Doctor Paul Janssenweg 150
5026 RH Tilburg
+31 (0)13-79 99 040
+31 (0)13-79 99 042