Model 8500 Specifications
Oxygen Saturation Display Range: 0% to 100% SpO2
Pulse Rate Display Range: 18 to 321 beats per minute (BPM)
Accuracy – Sensors: Declared accuracy data for compatible sensors can be found in Nonin’s Sensor Accuracy document.
Measurement Wavelengths and Output Power**:
Red: 660 nanometers @ 0.8 mW maximum average
Infrared: 910 nanometers @ 1.2 mW maximum average
Pulse Quality Indicator: LED, tricolor
Numeric Displays: 3-digit, 7-segment LEDs, red
Operating: -20 to +50 °C (-4 to +122 °F)
Storage/Transportation: -40 to +70 °C (-40 to +158 °F)
Operating: 10% to 90% non-condensing
Storage/Transportation: 10% to 95% non-condensing
Operating: Up to 12,000 meters (40,000 feet)
Hyperbaric Pressure: Up to 4 atmospheres
Six 1.5V AA-size alkaline batteries.
100 hours maximum display brightness.
160 hours with normal display brightness.
Dimensions: 8 cm W x 15 cm H x 2.5 cm D (3 in W x 6 in H x 1 in D)
Weight: 280 g (10 oz) (with alkaline batteries)
Classifications per ANSI/AAMI ES60601-1 / CAN/CSA-C22.2 No. 60601-1:
Type of Protection: Internally powered (on battery power)
Degree of Protection: Type BF-Applied Part
Mode of Operation: Continuous
Enclosure Degree of Ingress Protection: IP32
This device is not made with natural rubber latex.
** This information is especially useful for clinicians performing photodynamic therapy.
Model 8500 Troubleshooting
- Unit will not turn on:
- Install six new batteries, ie Duracell, Energizer ect (avoid off brand low quality batteries)
- Verify correct polarity of the batteries (FIGURE 2)
- Verify battery door has metal contact
- Disconnect any accessories attached to the device
- Verify battery contacts, inspect for corrosion / clean contacts
- Has the device lost battery power for more than 2 minutes, unit will clear memory after 2 minutes with no battery power.
- Has more than 2 minutes of data been recorded.
- Unit must have 6 new good batteries (no flashing displays), good sensor reading 2 minutes or more.
- Unit will not display readings:
- Verify that only Nonin accessories are being used
- Verify integrity of all batteries, is display blinking
- Try another sensor
- If 8500I is being used, remove and try again using only the sensor.
- Verify that tester \ patient is not wearing fingernail polish
- Unit is displaying erratic readings
- Follow steps in item #2 above
- Numeric displays blink at one-second intervals (Low Battery Indication)
- Install six new batteries
- Verify correct installation (polarity) of ALL batteries (FIGURE 2)
Nonin 8500 – Battery Placement Configurations
Battery installation (6) – Left to Right – #1, #3, #5
#2, #4, #6
Location: Reverse (5 other batteries correct polarity)
#1 – Will power ON, Blinking Display HR and SPO2, will provide readings, but blink
#2 – Will power ON, Blinking Display HR and SPO2, will provide readings, but blink
#3 – Will power ON, Blinking Display HR and SPO2, will provide readings, but blink
#4 – Will power ON, Blinking Display HR and SPO2, will provide readings, but blink
#5 – Will power ON, Blinking Display HR and SPO2, will provide readings, but blink
#6 – Will power ON, Blinking Display HR and SPO2, will provide readings, but blink
* Any two batteries reversed grouped together, No Power (1 – 2 or 3 – 4 or 5 – 6)
* Any two batteries, not grouped together, will power ON, only dashes no readings.
* Three batteries reversed, no power, no indications.
Frequently Asked Questions
Nonin Medical Inc
13700 1st Ave N,
Plymouth, MN 55441
Nonin Medical B.V.
Doctor Paul Janssenweg 150
5026 RH Tilburg
+31 (0)13-79 99 040
+31 (0)13-79 99 042